Happy 1 Year San Francisco!

Warm SF Beaches in Oct

Warm SF Beaches in Oct – Just a short walk away

Ok, ok…it’s a little over year, but it sure has been a hell of a year. I can finally mark my 1 year (+ a little more) anniversary of living in San Francisco. And with that, I will celebrate this by eating a cupcake, in my PJs, and in my nice big comfy bed. So there you have it. San Francisco has officially stolen my heart.

The year has been a good one. No, scratch that…an abso-fucken-lutely amazing one.

I’ve always told myself, I would never become one of those San Franciscan snobs who only lives, walks and breathe the city. But now ironically, I am eating my own words.

But why San Francisco? Why do I love you so much?

I’m paying an arm and leg to live in a shoe box size apartment. I can’t even afford to move anywhere else since rent is ridiculously insane.

I put up with roughly 3 hours of commute every day to my job in Mountain View.

I spend at least $100 a month in cabs rides just to get around the city.

I probably spend twice as much at the bars. Not to mention the terrible hangovers and the broken promises that I keep making to myself on never drinking ever again…only to rinse, lather and repeat again the next weekend.

I’m overpaying for basic things like groceries, coffee, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, etc…And somehow that’s ok b/c we’ve come to accept it as part of living in the city.

I’m constantly bundled up because it’s freezing like 99.9% of the time in the city. Ok, maybe that’s a lie. Lately, it has been cold like 85% of the time.

Why I love my location - Marina - not so for the douches but more so for the water

Why I love where I live – although at this rate I won’t be able to move anywhere else

So why do you ask? Because this city is worth it. I’ve always said to my friends…if you’re bored and you’re living in the city, you have no one else to blame but yourself.

I love that I can walk a couple blocks down the street and meet up with my friends for a glass of wine and gossip on any given night.

I love the amazing food and the abundance of restaurant choices that this city has to offer.

I love that I can walk a few blocks north and I’m at the beach enjoying the warm (Ok…a lot of the time cold) sun, sand and water.

I also love that I can walk a few blocks in the opposite direction and I’m surrounded by the urban city.

I love that I can just walk. (Although, I really want to bike, but haven’t gotten over the fear of riding on the streets of San Francisco. My dream really is to get a Vespa!)

Music festivals, street fairs, art shows, musicals, museums…pretty much tons of events.

And when it’s warm out, which is like 0.1% of the time (yes, my math should be right), the city feels alive, festive and vibrant. It makes the other 99.9% of the time dealing with the cold weather…all well worth it.

I love Dolores Park, Bi-Rite, Hayes Valley, Amelie…

I love how accepting and liberal this city is.

So there you have it. I’m a proud San Francisco snob. Hate me for it if you will my lovely suburban friends. This is my home.

Some of my best SF buds

Some of my best SF buds

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *